Farhaan Behardien. (Photo by Anesh Debiky/Gallo Images)
- Veteran Proteas cricketers Henry Davids and Farhaan Behardien took to twitter to vent their frustration at the ongoing crisis at CSA.
- CSA’s crisis reached boiling point last week after the Members’ Council refused to adopt the proposed interim board.
- The England tour to SA is expected to go ahead this week despite ongoing boardroom squabbles.
Veteran Proteas cricketers Henry Davids and Farhaan Behardien took to twitter last Friday to vent their frustration at the ongoing crisis at Cricket South Africa (CSA).
Davids called on administrators to make “cricketing decisions” and to “look past themselves”.
“Some times you have to look past your personal issues,
whatever they are, and look at the bigger picture … which is cricket!!!” Proteas batsman Davids wrote on his twitter account, using multiple angry imojis.
Proteas all-rounder Behardien also took to his verified twitter account to vent his frustration.
“Without the players there would be no game, that we all so
dearly love,” said Behardien.
Last Wednesday, CSA’s Members’ Council pulled the plug on the proposed interim board that was appointed by Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa and chaired by Judge Zak Yacoob.
The decision set off a series of events that led to the minister threatening to pull the Proteas’ badges, national recognition from the cricket should the Members’ Council renege on their verbal agreement to adopt the interim board as CSA’s directors.
“At a time when our domestic cricketers are excelling, and we
are about to welcome England to our shores, the governance structures of CSA
are again in crisis,” said South Africa Cricketers’ Association CEO Andrew Breetzke last week.
have addressed formal correspondence to the Members’ Council advising them of
our dismay at their decision, and highlighting their disregard for the welfare
of players in passing this decision.”
– Compiled by Sport24 staff.